Saturday, January 23, 2016

Rocket Monkeys backgrounds

I was first hired at Atomic Cartoons in 2012 by Jamie Turner to do board pulls for Rocket Monkeys, Season 1. That task is when you take a pose from the storyboard of a character or prop and create something usable for the animation. I loved this show. I'm a huge fan of space ships, cars with big fins, one-eyed aliens, strange space guns and rivets.
Later, I was hired as a background designer seasons 2 and 3. I hadn't done anything like that before, except for my early portfolio work. Fortunately, they were desperate.
I was honoured, humbled and occasionally terrified to work under the tutelage of Jay Falconer. His design notes were always drawn on Post-Its. That's all he needed.
I sat by David Gagnon, the best character designer in the galaxy, and next to Indy Andres, prop designer extraordinaire. I was a sponge and tried to learn as much as I could from these two rock stars as well.
Thanks for hiring me, Jamie. I owe you a huge debt.




The Balloon Planet




Banarchy!



Bug Planet

Bug Chapel. Will Wally be forced into marrying a large evil sentient insect?




No comments:

Post a Comment